What’s The Best Singletrack Mountain Bike Trail in Cyprus?
The Troodos mountains forest park in Cyprus covers an area of 93 sq km and is an outdoor lover’s paradise for walking, skiing and mountain biking. The area is home to 10 nature trails suitable for hiking and mountain biking.
While many trails are too exhausting for the average rider due to grueling, intense gradients, the 12km long Atalante trail offers a spectacular technical singletrack experience with only 50m of total altitude variation.
Cyprus Mountain Biking, Singletrack Trails
Cyprus is blessed with mile after mile of remote vehicle width cross country trails but for lovers of MTB singletrack, those challenging narrow trails only accessible by foot or two wheels, the Troodos mountains offers some of the best Cyprus mountain biking.
The Atalante trail is the most popular mountain bike route frequented by locals in the Troodos mountains and for good reason. Starting at Troodos Square, the trail winds around 1952m high Chionistra, the Cypriot name for Olympus, and offers outstanding views of the entire island.
Terrain is rugged, rough, very rocky and extremely narrow in places as riders negotiate their way around the route, and, while there is very little height gain, the trail will challenge the best of riders with some cheeky little switchbacks and nerve tingling precipice turns.
Mountain Bike Routes in Cyprus
Those interested in geology and flora will love this mountain bike route in an area home to over 770 species of plant and revered by geologists due to the vast number of varying plutonic rock samples, created by the crystallization of magma millions of years before.
The rugged technical nature of the Atalante trail, which constantly changes with annual winter rock falls, may be too challenging for beginners to mountain biking. Those riders can still enjoy the Troodos area, however, by cycling part or all of the 57km long circuit, recently waymarked by the Cyprus Tourism Organization as part of a broader cycling network that is planned to cover the entire island.
The circuit is relatively easy for the average rider and covers 25.7km on dirt tracks, 31.3km on road, with a total altitude variation of 400m.
Best Time to Cycle in the Troodos Mountains Cyprus
The Atalante trail can feasibly be cycled for most of the year but the winter months of January through to end March are best avoided due to the high risk of snowfall at this time.
In the heat of high summer, when the rest of the island is literally steaming, the Troodos mountains offer a cooling respite and this singletrack trail can be ridden even in August, although an early start is recommended.
Those visiting the island for a self guided mountain bike holiday in Cyprus may want to put this route on their itinerary, perhaps staying overnight in one of the mountain hotels nearby.
- TEETH: 53T, CRANKARMS: 170mm, BCD: 130mm (Not Include Bottom Bracket)
- Pedal Size: 9/16". Chain Size: Standard 1/2" X 1/8"
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】This bike chain ring set of connecting rods is easy to install and adapts perfectly to the bolt pattern of 104 mm, 32, 34, 36, 38 teeth to choose from.
- 【INCREASES WEAR LIFE】Bike single chainring adopts standard teeth design, which ensures ultimate chain retention, increases wear life, and reduces friction and noise.
- 🚴🏻【NARROW TOOTH DESIGN】Narrow tooth design: to ensure maximum retention of the chain, prolong wear life and reduce friction and noise.
- 🚴🏻【GREATE MATERIA】The bicycle chain is made of high-quality aluminum alloy with aviation-grade strength. 130mm / 5.1inch, make sure there is no bending.