How to Choose a Bike Attachment for Kids for Family Cycling
Cycling with children can be highly enjoyable but more often that not, kids get tired or bored really quickly, spoiling the fun for active parents. Bike attachments for kids offer an easy way for parents to get out and ride as a family unit but choosing between a tag along, a child bicycle seat or a child trailer can be confusing.
This article offers some basic advice on where to start, and then simply refer to the related articles at the end to find out more.
Tag Along Bikes
A tag along or trailer bike attaches to the back of an adult bicycle and is effectively a child’s bicycle without a front wheel. Most basic models have no brakes but freewheel hubs allow children to learn pedaling skills and energetic kids can even give tired parents a much needed push from behind.
Trailer bikes are best suited to children aged 4-9 weighing up to 80 lbs. Prices start from around $130 and good brands to consider include Roland, Adams and US industry leader Burley.
Remember that a tag along attachment makes for a very long bike and cornering can be difficult so consider where the bike is likely to be ridden before buying one.
Child Bike Seats
For younger children and infants, keen cyclists may want to consider a child bike seat. Available in both front and rear mounted designs, safety features are critical to adequately protect the child so look for a strong safety harness, padded backrests, hand and foot rests and easy installation/removal.
Prices start from as little as $80 and good brands in the child bike seat market are Copilot, Hamax, Kettler and the front-mounted Kangaroo from Weeride.
Bike seats must be compatible with the host bike in terms of attachment via separate pannier or frame mounting so consult a specialty cycle retailer before purchase. One other aspect to consider is that a child seat may not be suitable for hyperactive kids as too much movement will cause instability.
For the highly active child and/or parents who like to get out and ride whatever the weather, a child trailer is another bike attachment option. This trailer buggy is pulled along behind an adult bike keeping the child dry and safely installed in the buggy using a safety harness.
With prices starting at around $200 they are more expensive than a child seat but have a longer life span and can also be used to carry the shopping or even to take the dog to the vet! Maximum carrying weight is around 100 lb.
Take a look at market leader for quality and design Burley and also other brands like Chariot, Schwinn, Croozer and Ridgeback.
Invest in a Bicycle Attachment for Kids
Bicycle attachments for kids have good resale values as children tend to outgrow products before they suffer too much wear and tear so invest in a child trailer, a bike seat or a tag along with confidence and enjoy some fun family cycling.
- Wrap-around bucket seat design. Bell child carrier fits most 26 inch and 27 inch bikes without rear suspension
- Secure five point harness
- Enjoy safe, family-bonding bicycle rides with this deluxe child seat made with lightweight, polypropylene construction
- The frame mounted rear bike seat is easily assembled, making getting ready for the next adventure hassle free, rack is compatible with seat post diameters from 25 to 32mm
- WARMER THICK FABRICS: Our children's balaclava uses premium material with strong thermal property, so your kids can enjoy his/her snow activities in cold weather and it can lock temperature for long...
- DIVERSE PATTERNS AND COLORS: Our child ski mask have seven cartoon patterns. Each balaclava is a unique lovely animal cartoon pattern. Beautiful printing and bright color does not fade. Every child...