How Do You Become a Bicycle Mechanic Fast?
Last Updated on
Have you ever thought of becoming a bicycle mechanic? Bicycle mechanics work in a bicycle workshop for a bicycle retailer or wholesaler, supplier, manufacturers by assembling them so that they are ready for sale or hire.
They also advise clients about bicycle purchases, servicing, repairing and accessories. They inspect, repair, service bicycles and fabricate components and road test bicycles. They may also be involved in stock control and other retail functions as required.
Let’s find out the aspects of becoming a bicycle mechanic.
1. Go to bicycle mechanic schools
For one to become a bicycle mechanic, one has to attenda bike mechanic school and get trained on how to repair bikes. Trained bicycle technicians have years of experience so that they can guide students throughouteach lesson by building knowledge on students.
Throughout bike mechanic school, students will learn how to install and maintain bicycles theoretically.They will also learn to adjust headsets of a bike, fix drive train, and other bicycle related parts like chainrings andcassettes. Also, they are trained to align and sustain derailleurs, wheels and install handlebars of all types, install and align saddles and seats among other tasks.
The education one gets while in a mechanic school will enable him/her prepare for work in a bike shop. Attending a class and learning how to build and repair bicycles is just but one fantastic way to learn about bikes mechanics. The topics are broad and advanced than onlynecessary bike maintenance and repair but will help the student sharpen their skills.
2. Complete a basic bike repair course
Taking a bike mechanic course will be helpful for new beginners who aspire to become great mechanics although it may seem not necessarily. These courses will include seat and handlebars positioning, brake adjustments and tire replacements among other common topics needed to become a bicycle mechanic.
3. Read bicycle repair books
Another way to learn about being a bicycle mechanic is through reading bike repair books and journals. Some of these books include;
- Zinn and art of road bike maintenance – it’s the world best-selling book that provides an overview of bicycle maintenance and repair.
- Barnett's manual – this book covers the analysis and procedures for bicycle maintenance from tools to parts.
- The bike deconstructed – this book gives you a complete grand tour of the modern bicycle maintenance and general knowledge of the bicycle. It introduces and describes all parts of a bike in details.
These books provide an overview of bike maintenance and repairand cover everything from tools, parts and terminologies. They offer a guide on the introduction to bicycle mechanics and describes all parts of a bicycle in details, their maintenance and repair.
4. Hanging around bicycle shop
This is one of the standard ways on how people learn to become bicycle mechanics. They hang around bike shops and study on their own. They build knowledge,and when an opportunity crops up,and the owner of the shop needs a mechanic, they will end up picking them.
Many bike shops will provide only the necessary training like fixing flats and screwing in pedals.However, learning this through observation with more experienced bike mechanics helps the lookers to figure things out on their own. This, in turn, will help them become great bike mechanics.
5. Become certified bicycle mechanics
Attaining an effective bicycle mechanic certification programs will require not only a combination of being in a classroom but also complete hands-on completion experience. The certificate is not necessarily needed for bicycle repairers but can lead to additional job opportunities.
This certification typically consists of written programs combined with practical skills that will enhance your bicycle mechanism. Additionally, a relevant bicycle mechanic certificate from a comprehensive plan will improve your employment prospects.
Becoming a bike mechanic can be great, but you need first to learn the basics of being a bicycle mechanic. However, you should always be on your toes to keep learning about new technologies and acquiring new skills.
Bicycle mechanics must know their duties and responsibilities as they advance on being proper mechanics like; assembling new bikes, checking bicycles before they are sold and maintaining and keeping up to date bicycle parts and accessories.
Attending courses in a bicycle mechanic school and learning all the theoretical skills of being a mechanic, completing a bicycle repair course or reading various, books about bicycle mechanism will also help you become a good bicycle mechanic.
- COMPLETE: This Bikehand Tool Kit comes with a range of most common bike tools. It is very easy to use for regular bike service, such as cleaning chain, changing tire, changing bottom bracket, adjust...
- HOME MECHANICS LEVEL: Good value tool kit for home use. The new torque 2-10nm wrench is also included in the deal. The torque wrench is an important tool to tight carbon parts such as handlebar, stem...
- Bike Hand advanced mechanic tool kit includes 33 items: Chain Scrubber (YC-790).Hub Cone Spanner 13/14/15/16/17/18mm (YC-658-13-18).Adjustable Chain Remover (YC-324SC).Freewheel Remover...
- Spoke Wrench 0.127" = 3.2mm (YC-1R-1).Spoke Wrench 0.130" = 3.3mm (YC-1R-2).Spoke Wrench 0.136" = 3.5mm (YC-1R-3).Flat / Philips Screwdriver (YC-611).Flat Screwdriver (YC-612).Master Link Tool...
- Newest Complete Bicycle Tool Kit with Torque Wrench
- The Bikehand Complete Bike Repair Tool Kit contains everything the home mechanic would need to maintain their bike. The 23 items in the tool kit are made to a very high standard and will make bike...